We, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Annecy are an International Congregation founded by Rev. Father Medaille S.J in 1650, in France at Le Puy in response to the challenges of the times. He gathered around him a band of dedicated and committed women who wanted to give themselves totally in the service of God. They shared a profound desire for union with God and the “Dear Neighbor”, by ministering to the sick, homeless, orphans and the dying.
The French Revolution of 1789 radically affected the visible structures of religious congregations. The Sisters of St. Joseph were dispersed; some were imprisoned, some were guillotined, and others went into hiding. After the French Revolution it rejuvenated more robustly to extend its mission overseas. The journey of the sisters to India began in the year 1849 arriving in the diocese of Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Since the Founder set no limits to the apostolate which the sisters could undertake, the charism took deep roots in the Indian soil and extended its branches to the neighboring states and even further. It was on August 15, 2002 the new province of Bhubaneswar was bifurcated from the province of Vishakhapatnam in order to expand the services of the sisters of St. Joseph to many more people of God.