Our Call and Response to Jokalandi
Background : In the year 1951 Bhubaneswar replaced Cuttack as the political capital of the state of Orissa. During the expansion and the development of the city many poor and disadvantaged people were displaced. They settled in Bharatpur-Jokalandi which became a haven to them. The slums created unhealthy environment, unhygienic living conditions, structurally inadequate housing, lack of civic facilities, hazardous working conditions with low level of socio-economic conditions. The rate of various types of diseases rose due to unsanitary conditions, malnutrition, and lack of basic health care. Due to poverty and unemployment social problems such as crime, drug addiction, gambling and alcoholism became rampant.
Our Response : The Sisters responded to these diverse problems, needs and challenges of the people by opening a house at Jokalandi in the year 1992 to offer better living condition and a hope for a brighter future, they established an Oriya medium school, health center and a Crèche.
India is progressing with an astounding growth rate which is second highest in the world after that of China. Without doubt the principal reason behind progress of our country is its youth force. However, there is a problem; huge number of Indian youth is not only unemployed but unemployable. This challenged the Sisters in Jokalandi to establish in the year 2008 St. Joseph’s SevaSadan Community college to empower, educate and provide employment for the youths and make them useful citizens. We are indebted to Manos Unidas, Spain for providing us
with the required financial assistance to build the infrastructure with all the facilities required for the functioning of the community college. we are very grateful to Conrad N. Hilton Fund for stepping forward to support our trainees .
Vision : To be a vibrant educational and training center responsive to the needs of the community.
Mission : To provide reasonable access to quality education and training that prepares the youth of the community for skilled and job oriented personal accomplishment in our changing global society.
- We are devoted to meeting the needs of the communities we serve :
- Respond to the varying requirements of our communities in a timely manner
- Provide access to educational opportunities for persons from all sections of society without any discrimination
- Develop the intellectual, physical, social, cultural, and career potential of the individual for a transformed life
- Continuously evaluate and improve programs, services, systems, and policies
- Offer new programs and trainings to meet identified needs
- Concentration on student and stakeholder needs
- Contribute to the economic, social, cultural quality of life of the community
- Tailoring, embroidery and fashion design
- Basic Computer science
- Spoken English
- Basic life coping skills
- Communication skills
- Cultural Awareness
- DTP operator
Proposed New Programs
- Health Assistant
- Catering assistant
- Office Management